THE BOB CARTER CENTRE PETANQUE CLUB
2019/20 Newsletter Number 2 – 29 December 2019
- Hi everyone – did you have a great Christmas? We had the grandchildren for eight days so Anne and I are now putting our feet up!
- We all had a very enjoyable club Christmas party at the Old Rectory. It was a really good meal, but I thought the disco man was very poor! Personally, I think it might be better next year to book a classy meal in a private room at somewhere like Stower Grange. No music, but probably half the cost and a chance to chat with everyone! What do you think? If we want a bit of music, I think Potters at Hopton is a much better option.
- In the winter league, club members are involved in three teams. Louisa, James and Allen are core members of ‘The Bob’ and are lying second in division one. The Crusaders is a new team formed by Simon, Heidi, Ron, Judith and Duncan. They are currently second in the ten team division two. And just behind them are the U3A Bandits with Barry and Anita.
- The Eurocup draw has been made and I’m waiting to find out the venue. As you will recall, we have won through three rounds and have progressed to the last sixteen clubs nationally. This is as far as any Anglia Region club has ever achieved! We have a tough draw as we are in a league of four with last year’s champions Baldock. The next round is on Sunday 5th April. We will be up against some of England’s best players – I can’t wait!
- The next winter lunch is at The Cock in Drayton on Wednesday 8th January at 12.30pm. I hope to see many of you there. No need to let me know – just turn up!”
- I’m waiting to hear from Louise regarding two possible social events in the spring. An evening at Potters and a trip to London for a show.
- I’ve given up my role as Regional Treasurer after doing the job for the last five years, but unbelievably they have asked me to become Regional Umpire AGAIN at the age of seventy! With my eyesight they must be mad! I need to find some new younger volunteers!
- I’m registering our Thursday league teams next week. Last chance to make any changes, then off we go for another season.
- And I’m going to register a Wednesday morning team again – Bob Carter North (me and six ladies!) and I presume Ian Lou and Barry will be registering their own teams again. If you want to play in this friendly but very competitive league please have a word with one of us or consider forming your own team. Just three players needed!
- So all the best for 2020 – our 35th year as a club, and there are still a few ‘originals’!
Cheers – Pete